Saturday, March 14, 2009

What influenced you to be an artist?

Are you an artist? Where are you coming from? What do you see as major influences from childhood? Artist's need to reflect on this and create from these sources. Here's a few thoughts I have had:
I used to string beads from ice cube trays filled to the rim with beads and I punched holes in my Barbie doll’s ears so they could wear the jewelry I made for them. I used to fly kites and go sledding in fields filled with snakes and cow pies. My teachers used to tell me to be a teacher. I used to live in rural Iowa and walk beans, play sports, lifeguard, teach swimming lessons, babysit, wait tables, make art, and arrange flowers to keep myself busy. I used to get my inspiration to work as an artist from Linda Lonn, my art teacher, and at NWMSU. And now in Lincoln, I used to teach elementary and middle school art, but now teach high school pottery, jewelry, sculpture, and digital art.

No comments:

Post a Comment